Pound cake has been around for several centuries. The cake got its name from the ingredients and amounts originally used. Long ago, Pound Cakes were made of 1 pound flour, 1 pound butter, 1 pound eggs, and 1 pound sugar. These 4 ingredients in equal proportions makes this dense and flavorful cake. Today the cake has evolved slightly, but still is influenced by its traditional ingredients. I remember when looking up recipes I was beginning to get a little confused. Some recipes were calling for milk, some for buttermilk, some for sour cream. Some said no leavening agents, others said yes to leavening agents. I started to get confused so I texted my mother in law asking her for a recipe. She graciously gave me a recipe that she uses. The cake came out a deliciously moist and not very dense. You can try the recipe and then enjoy a thick slice just by itself, with a flavored glaze, with a big scoop of whipped cream, ice cream or fresh fruit on top. I think of all the cakes I’ve made this is about my favorite because it keeps extremely well. Seems to me that it tastes better the longer it sits out. I have one more slice to go and I’m sure it’s going to be the best, by far.
4 sticks of butter, softened ( I used a butter and a shortening combo)
6 eggs, @ room temperature
3/4 cup milk, @ room temperature
3 cups sugar
4 cups of flour (I used 3 cups of all purpose flour and one cup cake flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside
2. In another bowl cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating after each.
3. Add flour and milk alternately. Add vanilla.. Beat
4. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 F for an hour and 10 mins. (Mines was ready at 50 minutes and by then it was a little too dark for my liking. I guess my oven runs on the extra hot side)
5. Let cool and then glaze (if you wish).
I was able to make a bundt cake plus two mini loaves
This was two days later when I cut one of the loaves. Still moist and still yummy.
You have to try your hand at this recipe if you’ve never made a pound cake. C’est si bon!
Bye For Now…..