Three words of advice concerning the biscuits for these shortcakes: White Lily Flour. My goodness! A couple months ago, I happened across an article that near waxed poetic about how good White Lily Flour is for Southern biscuits. Well naturally, I wanted to try White Lily Flour. Alas, there was NONE to be found in ANY supermarkets, Walmarts, Super Walmarts around here. It was quite depressing. I read another article that said that White Lily flour was mostly found in Southern states and some mid western states. Since this flour seemed so special, I texted my MIL to just ask her about what she thought of the flour. (Or was it called)…Anyways she said that it was the flour she uses for her baking. Would you know that very next week a box came in the mail and in it was White Lily flour?? Yes! My MIL paid almost $13 to send me 5lbs of flour without me even asking for the stuff. I love that woman! Long story short, I am digging up all recipes that involves biscuits, muffins or anything that calls for all purpose flour. I made some AMAZING banana muffins before making these but decided to share these shortcakes first. They’re soooo good!
Ingredients for Strawberry Sauce:
1 pound strawberries
2 tbsp Grand Marnier
juice from 1 half of a lemon
3 tbsp sugar
1. Mix strawberries with sugar, lemon and Grand Marnier and refrigerate while juices develop, at least 30 minutes.
1/4 cup sugar
4 tbsp cold butter
2 tbsp cold shortening
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2, Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add shortening and butter and use pastry blender to mix them together until the size of small peas.
3. Beat egg and heavy cream together and mix to flour until just combined.
4. Using a biscuit cutter and cut biscuits.
5. Place biscuits on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I used some melted butter and brused this on top and sprinkled some brown sugar.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove shortcakes from oven and place on a rack to cool slightly.
1. Split warm shortcakes.
2. Spoon some of the strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream and then the shortcake top. Spoon more strawberries over the top and serve.
Bye For Now…..